Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mints

I haven't mentioned it before, but I have an addictive personality and I can obsess about things. I can do gardening the whole night through or cut the shoots of every plant in my garden, then try to root them without following the meticulous directions on how to properly achieve success.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/mint.htm has a list of 16 different types of mint. I tried planting mints last year and they didn't survive winter. I think it is because the soil of my garden is still pretty awful, so this summer I got new ones and planted them in large tin peeled tomatoes containers I picked up from the recycling bin of a church near my house.
I have chocolate, pineapple, apple and spearmint. Basil, Egyptian and possibly Moroccan mints are on my search list.

I have clippings of all of them in water as well (Some have already sprouted roots) and since i've hear some awful things about how mints can take over the garden if left unattended I will keep them in this tin cans for the whole of their lives. If they survive winter that is.

3 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

Mints can take over a garden in a single season. I'm still pulling mint that I thought I had yanked 4 years ago fromsome a previous owner had planted. The smell is great, great in tea, but way too invasive. Make sure it stays in it's can.

10:04 AM  
Blogger KitcheView said...

oh my God, I was actually thinking of putting some on the ground this weekend. of course i am rooting babies like crazy. i've always wanted to plant stuff in the park or the side of the street and see what happens. ummmm my treepit maybe.

1:22 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

If you plant it in the tree pit, it will be there until the end of time. Nothing can kill mint.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home