Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Intrusive plants

I seem to have a thing for intrusive plants. First the mints and now purple loosestrife.
Two summers ago is when I first try to introduce this plant into my garden. It grew all over the lambertville towpath, so I decided to take home a clipping. It didn't take, but I brought along some poison ivy and my body got a reaction to it for two summers in a row.
This summer I succeeded. Check out the link below. My Loosetriffe looks exsactly like it (it's in bloom at the time). I've divided it into 5 different plants. Two are in the ground, two in pots I can bring into the house and one in an oversized pot with plentied of room for growth.

http://www.wildflowersofontario.ca/purpleloosestrife.html

3 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

Purple loosestrife is pretty but also invasive. I know in Pennsylvania it is now illegal to sell it. But you still see it every now and then. I guess there aren't too many wetlands in and around your part of brooklyn for it to migrate to, huh?

1:45 PM  
Blogger KitcheView said...

Yikes, sooo pretty, is hard to believe the reputation it has. I got mine at a store in Long Island, but i've seen it elsewhere here in brooklyn.
I like invasive plants. Soon everyone in my neighborhood will have loosestrife (by choice i hope). I have a list of the plants my neighbors want. So far jasmines, mints and sage are the biggest requests. I got stuff rooting all over the rooftop.

5:55 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Invasive refers to the habit of getting into a habitat and choking out all the natives. Purple Loosestrife, if it gets in a wetland area, will destroy all the native vegetation. And it has little to no nutritive value for fauna. Pretty plant, but bad.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home